There's some incredible racing history here - which most of us are unawares.
ROYAL AUSTRALIAN AIRFORCE 1942
Due to Australia's commitment to World War 2, in 1946 The Royal Australian Airforce built the Caversham airfield base. It was a necessity in order to cater for air traffic of all sizes including the large Bombers and cargo aircraft. The main sealed air strip was one mile in length.... which was perfect for..... racing.
Temptation was too great & in 1946 the WA Sporting Car Club moved its main focus from Around the Houses racing and held its first race meeting on the 1 mile sealed Caversham air strip.
In an incredible first for Western Australia, this meeting was the first race meeting held in Australia post-war.
Titled the Victory Grand Prix, it was a raving success and although we're unsure how to verify this next statistic, it was reported that in excess of 60,000 people attended the event. Incredible !
Barry Ranford in his Midget takes on much bigger vehicles:
Press Release from 1947:
CAVERSHAM SPEED FESTIVAL 1948
CAVERSHAM RACEWAY PROGRAMME 1948
SYD NEGUS 1952
By 1953, the WA Sporting Car Club moved in more permanently at Caversham & had taken a long term lease over the air strip. Up until this point, the air-strip and base was being used as an active military base. The cessation of military activities was a welcome relief to the WA Sporting Car Club once the lease was signed and racing activities once again resumed.
Below: 1953 Syd Negus & Barry Ranford line up at Caversham
Image by Ken Devine